NEC ECC & TSC: Terminology difference for Options A&C between ECC and TSC

Hi - I’m new to this forum and very new to NEC Contracts, so please forgive me if this is a silly question. I have noticed that under ECC that Options A and C use the term “Activity Schedule”, however under TSC Options A and C use the term “Price List”. Also under ECC the term “Bill of Quantities” is used with Option B & D.

I am confused as to whether the TSC term “Price List” simply means Activity Schedule or if it refers to a Bill of Quantities. If someone could provide some clarity on this question for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Under the TSC, the Price List operates as both an activity schedule and a bill of quantities, depending on which method best describes a particular element of the scope of work. This means that it could contain both lump sum items and measured, or quantified, items.

The use and purpose of the Price List depends on which main option is selected. Under option A it is used to calculate the interim payment amount and in Option C it is used to determine the ‘target’ with payment made on a ‘cost’ basis.

Under the ECC form the lump sum options A and B operate principally in the same way as option A of the TSC, using an activity schedule and a bill of quantities respectively. The allocation of risk differs between them as the Client (Employer) retains responsibility for the completeness and accuracy of the bill of quantities, whereas the Contractor is responsible for these risks with an activity schedule. Payment under option B is also more ‘progressive’ by assessing the completed quantity and in option A payment is assessed against completed (whole) activities.

ECC options C and D also use an activity schedule and bill of quantities respectively, but these are used to determine the ‘target’ with payment made on a ‘cost’ basis. The allocation of risks for these documents under options A and B also apply to C and D.