JCT Sub-Contract Particulars

This query relates to item 5.5 of the JCT Sub-Contract Particulars (DBSubA/2016).

Item 5.5 of the JCT Sub-Contract Particulars provide two options as follows:
• Where completion by Sections does not apply or, alternatively…

• Where completion by Sections does apply.

If the Main Contract is split into Sections but all of the Sub-Contract Works fall within one of those Main Contract Sections, how then should item 5.5 of the JCT Sub-Contract Particulars be completed? Is it:

1. “where completion by Sections does not apply” x weeks (i.e. as the Sub-Contract Works themselves are not split into sections) or…

2. Insert the Main Contract Section number and state the period for the Sub-Contract Works within that Section

As “Section” is defined in the JCT Conditions as “one of the Sections into which the Main Contract Works have been divided”, I presume that option 2) above is the correct answer (i.e. even if the Sub-Contract Works are not split into sections, when completing para 5.5 of the Sub-Contract Particulars, the ‘Section’ option is used where there are Main Contract Sections upstream).

if the Sub-Contract Works are part of one Section of the Main Contract Works then the Sub-Contract Works are not divided into Sections so you should ignore the Sectional Completion Parts of the Contract Particulars and complete Item 5 as if there were not sections.

2 Likes