Dispute Resolution

Hi, just wondering if I appoint several consultants separately or as a Multi-D service with regards to dispute resolution is it best to state one institute as the arbitration procedure eg. RICS across all disciplines or RIBA for architect, RICS for QS ICE for Civil Engineer etc…?


Firstly, this is only an issue if you choose arbitration as the tribunal. It doesn’t have to be.

Assuming that choice is made, its wise to use a well known procedure issued by a reputable body, but the ones you mention meet that test.

As for whether to mix and match, I think its a question of what you are comfortable with. I think its fair to say that QS’s would expect to see RICS, but I don’t think they’d be likely to have any issue with, say, ICE.