Is it necessary for an unqualified individual to notify the local authorities when installing a new electrical circuit?

Not necessarily, but any such work has to be carried out by a competent person who is registered under the government-approved Part P self-certification scheme. The following types of work also need to be notified to the local authority:

	consumer unit replacements;

	electric floor or ceiling heating systems;

	extra-low voltage lighting installations;

	garden lighting and / or power installations;

	installation of a socket outlet on an external wall;

	aerials, Satellite Dishes Television and Radio Aerials

	installation of outdoor lighting and / or power installations in a garden;

	installation of new central heating control wiring;

	solar photovoltaic power supply systems;

	small-scale generators.