What is the procedure with regard to having electrical work undertaken in one's home that involves the addition of a new electrical circuit?

From 1st January, 2005, such activity has to be legally reported to local authority Building Control for inspection, regardless of whether it is carried out by professional person(s) or not. The only exception to this is when it has been undertaken by a competent person under schemes such as ELESCA.