Is there any sort of electrical work that can be carried out by a non-competent person, and for which the local authority does not need to be contacted?

Yes, there are numerous sorts of work that do not require contact, for example:

·     repairs, replacements and maintenance work;

·     the installation of extra power or lighting points;

·     alterations to existing circuits.