If the situation regarding a defective building is urgent, can a local authority deal with the matter themselves?

Yes, under these circumstances the local authority can serve an abatement notice which will inform the owner / occupier that the local authority intend to carry out the work. The local authority also has the right to recover reasonable expenses incurred.