We have an interesting scenario. For the purpose of brevity, I will mention some key points to the issue:
- The contractor has not fully completed all the work as per the WI.
- The completion date has not occurred.
- Pm has not certified completion.
- The PM issues a “Final payment certificate”.
- Deductions for an “advanced payment” is made. Contractor contends this advance was never paid. If any figure could relate to this, it would be a payment that was in relation to a retention bond.
- Further deductions / corrections on this payment certificate relating to previous payments that thereafter resulted in a dispute. Arbitration hearings are scheduled for later in the year.
- Curiously this payment certificate was issued a few days prior to the Employer submitting their statement of defense and counter claim for arbitration matter.
- Nett result is that the Contractor suddenly has to pay about 5 million to the Employer rather than getting around 20 million paid to them.
I am hoping to get some opinions regarding what the contract says about this and even some case law to study regarding this matter.