Does an individual require any form of official approval to construct an offence or garden wall?

Generally not, but this is dependent on size. Also, planning permission will be required for such developments under these circumstances:

· your property is a listed building;

· the construction will be over 2 metres in height once completed;

· the construction will be over 1 metres in height and is located next to a highway

        used for vehicular traffic;

· the construction forms part of a boundary with a listed building neighbouring

        your property.