If a full plans application is rejected, what options are available for the applicant?

Under these circumstances an applicant can either:

(i)  seek a 'determination' from the Secretary of State should the applicant be of the opinion that the work actually complies with the Building Regulations;

(ii) should an applicant accept that the work is not compliant with the Building Regulations, but that the legislation is too restrictive with regards to this particular development, then it is possible to apply for a relaxation or dispensation of the particular requirement that the application is inconsistent with from the Local Authority.