- 15 questions - ReachBack is a growing network of individual communities, each dedicated to serving experts in a specific field. We build libraries of high-quality questions and answers, focused on each community's area of expertise. The category show question about our platform and how to use it.
- 10 questions - The International Federation of Consulting Engineers (commonly known as FIDIC, acronym for its French name Fédération Internationale Des Ingénieurs-Conseils) is an international standards organization for the construction industry, best known for the FIDIC family of contract templates. The fact that the organisation has a French title bears testimony to its foundation in 1915 by three countries each wholly or partly francophone. The founding member countries of the FIDIC were Belgium, France and Switzerland.
Health and Safety
- 353 questions - The legislation affecting health and safety in design and construction falls under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act through regulations that include: the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations, the Control of Asbestos Regulations, Health and Safety (Consultation with Employees) Regulations and Reporting of Injuries, etc.
- 226 questions - The Joint Contracts Tribunal, also known as the JCT, produces standard forms of contract for construction, guidance notes and other standard documentation for the construction industry. From its establishment in 1931, JCT has expanded its structure comprises 7 members who contribute, approve and authorise publications.
Legal and Disputes
- 202 questions - In 2013, an NBS survey , the National Construction Contracts and Law Survey, found that 30% of firms had been involved in at least one dispute in the previous 12 months. As a consequence, there is enormous interest in construction disputes but it tends to focus on dispute resolution techniques rather than how to avoid them.
NEC3 and NEC4 Contracts
- 1,966 questions - The New Engineering Contract (NEC3 and NEC4), or NEC Engineering and Construction Contract is a formalised system created by the Institution of Civil Engineers that guides the drafting of documents on civil engineering and construction projects for the purpose of obtaining tenders, awarding and administering contracts.
Planning and Architecture
- 896 questions - Planning permission or planning consent is the permission required in the United Kingdom in order to be allowed to build on land, or change the use of land or buildings. Building regulations exist to ensure the health and safety of people in and around all types of buildings.
- 298 questions - Procurement is the acquisition of goods, services or works from an outside external source. It is favourable that the goods, services or works are appropriate and that they are procured at the best value for money. Public procurement across is governed by a series of european directives.
- 10 questions - What is project management? the Association of Project Management (APM) define its as: Project management is the application of processes, methods, knowledge, skills and experience to achieve the project objectives. A project is a unique, transient endeavour, undertaken to achieve planned objectives, which could be defined in terms of outputs, outcomes or benefits. A project is usually deemed to be a success if it achieves the objectives according to their acceptance criteria, within an agreed timescale and budget.
- 3 questions - There are many definitions of what BIM is and in many ways it depends on your point of view or what you seek to gain from the approach. Sometimes it’s easier to say what BIM isn’t! It’s not just 3D CAD. It’s not just a new technology application. It’s not next generation, it here and now! BIM is essentially value creating collaboration through the entire life-cycle of an asset, underpinned by the creation, collation and exchange of shared 3D models and intelligent, structured data attached to them. (Source: BIM Task Group)